Thursday 12 September 2013

A disciple is never above his master


Friday of the Twenty third week in Ordinary Time 13 September 2013

St. John Chrysostom, Bishop and Doctor of the Church

1 Tim 1:1-2.12-14.
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by command of God our savior and of Christ Jesus our hope, to Timothy, my true child in faith: grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
I am grateful to him who has strengthened me, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he considered me trustworthy in appointing me to the ministry.
I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and an arrogant man, but I have been mercifully treated because I acted out of ignorance in my unbelief.
Indeed, the grace of our Lord has been abundant, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

Ps 16(15):1-2a.5.7-8.11.
Keep me, O God, for in you I take refuge;
I say to the LORD, "My Lord are you."
O LORD, my allotted portion and my cup,
you it is who hold fast my lot.

I bless the LORD who counsels me;
even in the night my heart exhorts me.
I set the LORD ever before me;
With him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.

You will show me the path to life,
Fullness of joys in your presence,
The delights at your right hand forever.
Luke 6:39-42.
Jesus told his disciples a parable : "Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit?
No disciple is superior to the teacher; but when fully trained, every disciple will be like his teacher.
Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own?
How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me remove that splinter in your eye,' when you do not even notice the wooden beam in your own eye? You hypocrite! Remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter in your brother's eye."


Commentary of the day :

Saint Cyril of Alexandria (380-444), Bishop, Doctor of the Church
Commentary on Saint Luke's Gospel, 6 ; PG 72, 601 (trans. ©Friends of Henry Ashworth)
"When fully trained, every disciple will be like his teacher"
“The disciple is not above his teacher”... So then, if the Master does not judge, why are you judging? He came not to judge the world, but to take pity on it (Jn 12,47). What he is saying, then, is this: "If I do not pass judgment, neither must you, my disciple. You may be even more guilty of the faults of which you accuse another. Will you not be ashamed when you come to realize this?"

The Lord uses another illustration for the same teaching when he says: “Why do you look for the speck in your brother's eye?” With compelling arguments he persuades us that we should not want to judge others, but should rather examine our own hearts, and strive to expel the passions seated in them,. asking this grace from God. He it is who heals the contrite of heart and frees us from our spiritual disorders. If your own sins are greater and worse than other people's, why do you censure them, and neglect what concerns yourself?

This precept, then, is essential for all who wish to live a holy life, and particularly for those who have undertaken the instruction of others. If they are virtuous and self-restrained, giving an example of the gospel way of life by their own actions, they will rebuke those who do not choose to live as they do in a friendly way, so as not to break their own habit of gentleness.


 

 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete