Saturday 9 February 2013

Reflection on today's readings at Mass

Meditation: Why did Jesus perform the miracle of the great catch of fish? (Luke 5:1-11)

Can you imagine the scene? A great crowd of people like those at the Rugby League All Stars game last night who were pushing to see Jesus, a religious leader. You never see that in our churches or synagogues these days. No one is pushing their way to get close to the front in any church I have ever been to. What is the difference? Jesus was giving them something real. He was saying something worth hearing. I am always saddened when I attend a church in the hope of hearing something that is going to inspire and always go home disappointed and sharing often in the boredom of the assembled congregation who show their obligatory presence.
But the crowd we hear about in today's Gospel had something to do with the miracle that Jesus performs. They were very hungry for God and were eager to hear his word. Jesus wanted to use this occasion to teach His disciples an important lesson. Although Simon was wearied from a night of fruitless toil, he still pressed upon Jesus for his word of command: "At your word I will let down the nets". 
When you meet disappointment and failure, do you press upon the Lord, like Simon, to hear His word and to receive His command? 
This incident tells us an important truth about how God works in and through us for his glory. God expects of us greater things than we can do by ourselves. When we cooperate in his works, we accomplish far beyond what we can do on our own.
 Therese of Lisieux, a Carmelite nun who died of tuberculosis at the age of twenty-four, wrote to a friend: 
"Jesus has so incomprehensible a love for us that he wills that we have a share with him in the salvation of souls. He wills to do nothing without us. The Creator of the universe awaits the prayer of a poor little soul to save other souls redeemed like it at the price of all his Blood." 
When God's word is spoken His kingdom is revealed and His power is released. 
When people respond to God's word with faith and obedience they are changed and made "a new creation" in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17). God chooses ordinary people, like you and me, as his ambassadors and he uses the ordinary circumstances of our daily lives and work situations to draw others into his kingdom. 
Jesus speaks the same message to us today: we will "catch people" for the kingdom of God if we allow the light of Jesus Christ to shine through us. God wants others to see the light of Christ in us in the way we live, 
speak, and witness the joy of the gospel. 
Paul the Apostle says, "But thanks be to God, who in Christ Jesus always leads us in triumph, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing" (2 Corinthians 2:15). Do you witness to those around you the joy of the gospel and do you pray for your neighbors, co-workers, and relatives that they may come to know the Lord Jesus Christ and grow in the knowledge of his love? 
This week try to realise that with just a tiny bit of your effort God can do so much. Cooperate with him and all your human activities will be blessed multiple times over.
I am certain that good things are in store for me this year because I always let go and let God take the reins of my life. I pray and ask His guidance and follow where He leads me this day. This makes me confident that although it looks like I caught nothing all night, more will be visible in the morning!

"Lord Jesus, fill my heart with love and compassion for those who do not know you or follow you. May I be a good witness of your truth and salvation to my family, friends, and co-workers."

The following reflection is courtesy of Presentation Ministries (c) 2013. Their website is located at presentationministries.com


HE TOUCHED ME 

We properly recognize our sinfulness not by comparing ourselves to others, but by truthfully realizing Who God is, how holy and majestic He is, and especially by comparing ourselves to His holiness. Each of today's readings all have in common a man who recognized his sinfulness and unworthiness before God. They also have in common a man who additionally recognized that God was calling him to His service. Isaiah, Paul, and Peter all encountered the Lord personally with a profound experience of the awesome power of God (Is 6:1ff; Acts 9:3ff; Lk 5:5ff). Each man allowed God to cleanse him and make him worthy to serve Him. They responded with a deep commitment to the Lord and with steadfast perseverance for the rest of their lives. God knows we are sinful. That is why He sent us a Savior, Jesus, to save us from our sins. He knows we are sinful and unworthy, but in His wisdom, He has called us anyway. Jesus takes away our sin. He touches our lips, most particularly in the Eucharist, and cleanses us. He commands us: "Do not be afraid. From now on you will be catching men" (Lk 5:10). Even though we are unworthy, His grace in us will not be ineffective (2 Cor 12:10). God doesn't want us to languish in our feelings of unworthiness. Rather, He wants us to jump into the deep ocean of His grace (Lk 5:4), abandoning ourselves into His mercy and His service. Surrender your life to Jesus. Give Him your sins and your life. 

Prayer: Father, I will go wherever You send me. 

Promise: "Do not be afraid. From now on you will be catching men." —Lk 5:10 

Praise: Praise the risen Jesus, Who bears the marks of His death as a sign of His great love for us. 


On a personal note (today):


God is good. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Sure, sometimes you don’t get what you ask for but you always get what you need. I have been lacking something which I have hesitated to purchase because it’s a costly item & not necessarily something I can’t entirely live without (Mark Nielsen knows what I am talking about..) but today I opened a box of stuff (I am still living out of boxes) and there it was! I didn’t even know I had that particular item! Then a few minutes later in the same box I found the remote to the TV! You don’t know how much easier my life is not having to jump up and manually change the channel every five minutes (you know us men can’t stay focused on one channel for long). I can’t believe it. I also found other great stuff that I had completely forgotten I had. I don’t want to sound like I am boasting, but I always follow Padre Pio’s advice and my life just keeps on getting better. For those of you who don’t know it, whenever someone used to come to him and say, “Padre Pio, I have this particular problem and I don’t know what to do about it. Would you please ask God to help me?” HE would invariably reply, “Just pray to God about it. Know that He hears you and will help you. Have hope in God’s divine assistance and care for you. And then, don’t worry! Leave it all in His hands.” The summarised version of his advice which has become my mantra is “Pray! Hope! And Don’t Worry!” God is good and able to do anything. But you have to ask! And that takes humility. Some people are too proud to get on their knees and ask for God’s assistance. Inevitably, they are missing out on some pretty amazing things! I love you God and feel so blessed every day when I take inventory of your blessings: my family, my faith, my friends, my health, my wife and now my baby! 
Thank you Lord! Salamat sa Diyos, Ta on Chua! Merci! Muchas Gracias Senor!

No comments:

Post a Comment