Monday 17 June 2013

Now I know what makes a person a Saint

Today's Gospel reflection is based on Matthew 5:43-48.

Jesus said to his disciples: "You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.
But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you,
that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust.
For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same?
And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same?
So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.

 Commentary of the day :

Saint Thérèse of the Child Jesus (1873-1897), Carmelite, Doctor of the Church
Autobiographical Manuscript C 13 v°-14 r° (trans. copyright Institute of Carmelite studies)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Love of one's enemy
 
 

There is in the Community a Sister who has the faculty of displeasing me in
everything, in her ways, her words, her character, everything seems very
disagreeable to me. And still, she is a holy religious who must be very
pleasing to God. Not wishing to give in to the natural antipathy I was
experiencing, I told myself that charity must not consist in feelings but
in works; then I set myself to doing for this Sister what I would do for
the person I loved the most. Each time I met her I prayed to God for her,
offering Him all her virtues and merits. I felt this was pleasing to Jesus,
for there is no artist who doesn't love to receive praise for his works,
and Jesus, the Artist of souls, is happy when we don't stop at the
exterior, but, penetrating into the inner sanctuary where He chooses to
dwell, we admire its beauty. I wasn't content simply with praying very much
for this Sister who gave me so many struggles, but I took care to render
her all the services possible, and when I was tempted to answer her back
in a disagreeable manner, I was content with giving her my most friendly
smile and with changing the subject of the conversation... Frequently,
when... I had occasion to work with this Sister, I used to run away like a
deserter whenever my struggles became too violent. As she was absolutely
unaware of my feelings for her, never did she suspect the motives for my
conduct and she remained convinced that her character was very pleasing to
me. One day at recreation she asked in almost these words: "Would you tell
me, Sister Therese of the Child Jesus, what attracts you so much toward me;
every time you look at me, I see you smile?" Ah! what attracted me was
Jesus hidden in the depths of her soul; Jesus who makes sweet what is most
bitter.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete